History as published
in the Strasburg News 1917
The date of the organization of
the Strasburg Presbyterian Church is unknown. In 1793, or 1794, Rev.
William Williamson, a Scotch man by birth, preached in Warren and Shenandoah
Counties, and church records tell of him holding services at Powell's Fort,
Woodstock, Stoverstown (Strasburg), Weavers Mill, and Front Royal.
For a number of years Strasburg was part of a circuit which included Front
Royal, Woodstock and Powell's Fort. Sometime after the Revolutionary
War, the Union Church of Shenandoah County was organized, and according
to an entry in the Sessional Records, Dr. William Henry Foote was stated
supply of Woodstock and Strasburg from 1820 to 1827, assisted by John Lodor,
who filled the office of itinerant pastor until 1830, and continued to
supply Strasburg from Marlboro, until 1834. On December 13, 1832,
Lewis F. Wilson became pastor of Woodstock and Strasburg Churches, and
continued his ministry in these churches until October 29, 1836.
In September, 1837, Silas Billings became pastor, or states supply, and
continued until April 18, 1839, at which time he joined the New School
Assembly, and seems to have influenced the Strasburg Church, for its next
pastor was Jesse L. Frary, a member of the New School Assembly, who was
installed in the spring of 1847. He was succeeded by James
M. E. Graham, another New School minister, who continued as pastor until
about 1850, when he, in turn, was succeeded by William Torrey, who was
deposed from the ministry in 1855. The following year, John Howard
became pastor, but continued his ministry only one year, as his death occurred
in 1857. Under his pastorate, the field was changed to include Woodstock,
Strasburg and Cedar Creek (Marlboro). In November 1857, Robert Gray
became pastor and continued until September 1859. John M. Clymer
became pastor November 25, 1860, and continued his ministry during the
war. His successors since the war have been, Joseph W. Walkup, D.
D., 1868-70, Robert Fleming, D. D. 1876-77, Carson W. Hollis, 1878-82,
William H. Woods, D. D., 1885-87, Isaac N. Campbell, 1882-84, A. G. Link,
1889-1910, J. F. Leeper, May, 1913, up to the present time.
The present building which was erected
in 1826, was used as a hospital during the war and was badly damaged.
Services seen to have been resumed very shortly after the close of the
war, and a school was conducted in the basement of the building
The present membership is 110.
The session is composed of Messrs. F. M. Zea, Joshua Veech, Elmer Carrier
and Dr. G. G. Crawford. The deacons are Messrs. Sam Zea, R. S. Wright,
Robert Balthis, D. M. McInturff, ...... Ramey, Walter Stickley, ..... Ellis.
Copied from the Strasburg News by Calvin Sonner
........ indicated missing data.